About our location: We are located in an industrial park right off the Lowell Connector/Plain Street exit at the intersection of 495 and Route 3. It is easy to get to us from Boston, NH and beyond. Within one mile there are plenty of fast food restaurants, a Target and many other conveniences to get coffee, lunch or pizza for 100.
Volunteer at the warehouse: You are in good company when you volunteer at the Wish Project Warehouse. Each year more than 4,000 volunteers serve more than 12,000 hours sorting clothing, kitting up kitchen goods moving furniture and so much more. Each year we welcome hundreds of corporate groups, community groups, church groups, school groups, scout troops, and individuals to join us. Most groups volunteer for 2 hours at a time during our open hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and * Saturdays, 9 AM to 2 PM. Our volunteer evening is every Monday 6-8pm. *Saturday groups are only from 9-11am and are offered on a first come basis as slots fill up fast. Most clients work and go to school so Saturdays are a busy day for our staff to prepare and distribute goods in one day that furnish 12 homes, assemble hundreds of backpacks or project goods and put clothing on 40-50 peoples backs in 5 hours! We may not have staff to accommodate everyone that wants to volunteer on Saturday.
To schedule a time to volunteer call 978-441-wish or contact Patty at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Grants from Companies: Please check to see if your company offers financial support for volunteering or team building activities. We appreciate financial support of our mission so that we can prepare, organize, train, recognized and monitor the many volunteer groups we host. Our mission is to give things to the poor for free but to do that we have to pay the staff, keep the lights on and continue to rent the space to house such a wonderful resource of goods for 35,000 local poor.
Volunteer Off Site: There are many ways you help from home, school or at your place of business and many times we can provide service hours for your efforts. To find out what is needed this week connect with us on Facebook@thewishproject or sign up for the Weekly E-News. We are happy to schedule night or weekend hours and to tailor a project to meet your groups needs. Here are some ideas.
Use your passion to help our us and our local poor. Hold a fundraisers to benefit The Wish Project. Host a Blues Night, Run a yard sale (we can supply the goods), have a corn hole contest, host a sleep-a-thon to raise awareness for the hundreds of kids that sleep on the floor, hold a bake sale, host a bowling party, throw a house party or host a poker competition. Have a white elephant swap after Christmas at the office for all those gifts that just don’t fit. Challenge the other lawyers or accountants in the area to bowling or poker. We can help provide marketing materials and more. Just let us know. As long as the majority of the proceeds are to benefit our organization we will help promote the event through our online portals and social shares. Contact email@example.com for information.
Hold a collection to support a Seasonal Service Projects List a regular need or a monthly service project with a party in your own home or office. Or just do a collection among your friends or co-workers or school. Contact us first to see what we have or need the most. Get service hours and it looks great on a college application. We write great recommendations for extraordinary kids that help out.
- Birthday Party and collect new toys, or goods for birthday bags for needy kids or diapers, or school supplies
- New Year’s Party to collect diapers and wipes for the New Baby baby
- Mother’s Day Brunch to make gift bags or collect gifts for our Mother’s Day Bags
- Backpack Brunch Collection and Stuffing Party
- Christmas Party and have guests bring new toys
- Lend a Hand with Pots and Pans: Home Goods Party – Everyone brings old pots or pans, shower curtain liners, can openers or a clean coffee maker.
- Pillow Party ,Blanket Party, or Towels Party
- Snowball fight Event: with new socks rolled into snowballs
- Home Clean Home Party– We always need cleaning kits for clients going into low-income apartments from shelters (all unopened products please). Fill a bucket with cleaning supplies and sponges, add a broom and/or mop and watch the clients light up with joy. These are a huge hit and are so needed by families moving into apartments!
- Emergency Food Party– Collect food to fill emergency food needs. We need these for families who cannot get to a pantry. Most were suddenly placed in a hotel due to fire, flood or sudden homelessness. Food boxes cost about $40 each to put together. This is a great Scout meeting project.
Please contact us for more information. We are also happy to connect you with one of many agency partners should you be looking for other kinds of volunteer work.
- On Call Labor: Perhaps you cannot help on a weekly basis, but would be on call to help unload a truck, or move furniture, or paint and do maintenance, or drive the box truck? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Let our Volunteer Coordinator know what specific jobs you are willing to do, and we’ll add you to the list.
- Programmer: to help us integrate a few simple forms into our Bluehost website. Knowledge of PhP and SQL a must. We have the forms in html, we just need help setting up the database in a way we can manage it with shareware. Help with one form or our whole Magic of Christmas project. We want to move gift ordering to an online process. contact email@example.com.
- Clerical Help-Receptionist: Often we need someone to man the front desk, and answer the phone during our busiest times or during staff meetings. This requires a commitment of weekly time, since training is involved. At times, we may also need clerical help with mailings- stuffing envelopes, etc. Let us know if you are interested and we will put you on the Call List.
- Town Donation Days and Organization Yard sales: During the spring and fall, towns frequently have large recycling days when residents can bring their household items to recycle or trash. We need volunteers to collect pots and pans, dressers and other basic goods we can use and transport them back to our warehouse. Most of these events are scheduled on Saturdays.
- Specialty Volunteers: Occasionally, we have a need for special volunteers with specific skills, such as technical help, electrical help, data entry, web design, carpentry, truck driver with cab, etc. For example, could you help us build toddler bed frames out of wood? If you have a skill and are willing to volunteer for a project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on our list.
- Sewing and Craft Projects: Some items we need can be sewn using simple patterns we have. Do you have time to sew for us? Or knit and crochet baby sweater sets-afghans for our newborn kits? Or craft Valentines for our seniors? Decorate the outside of gift bags for Mother’s Day or Christmas? Contact email@example.com to add your name to our list.